CICOS Hydrological monitoring and SDAGE of the Congo Basin
IOWater will carry out training courses with the Rhine-Maas Water Agency and SEE.
Hydrological monitoring activities will be carried out under the Congo-HYCOS project, in collaboration with the World Meteorological Organization, the
Regarding the ”SDAGE”, the French experience will be based on that of the Rhine-Maas Basin and public participation will be dealt with by SEE and "Eau Vive". The project is jointly financed by the French (FFEM) and German (GIZ) Cooperation.
Strengthening of the VBA
At the end of 2011, the Volta Basin Authority, the International Office for Water and the International Network of Basin Organizations will start a 3-year project with experts from the Seine-Normandy and Adour-Garonne French Water Agencies.
This 40-month project is financed by the European Water Facility, the Seine-Normandy Water Agency and the French Development Agency for a total budget of 518,000.
Its objectives are to improve water governance, regional management of water resources and sustainable development in the
The activities will allow building the capacities :
* of the Stakeholders Forum for the development of the basin, an advisory body of the Volta Basin Authority (VBA) made up of members representing different categories of water users, the civil society and decentralized local authorities as well as the national focal bodies of the six Member States ;
* of the Experts’ Committee, the VBA executive body consisting of representatives of the Authority’s Member States,
* of the Executive Directorate, the first executive body of VBA created in September 2006.
These activities also falls within the specific framework for the process of development and approval of two key tools :
* The Water Charter : it will be the political and legal backbone of VBA for improved water governance ;
* The Master Plan for Development and Sustainable Management of Water Resources of the
Establishing the Basin Information System
The Niger Basin Information System is a body of the Executive Secretariat of the Niger Basin Authority (NBA), established by the NBA institutional reform of 2004.
The Information System, reporting directly to the Executive Secretary, has the essential tasks of monitoring changes in the basin, as concerns the hydrological, environmental and socioeconomic aspects, of producing regular information on the development of the basin through the analysis of collected data and of implementing a system for disseminating the information.
The project for “Support to the development of an Environmental Information System of the
This project started in late 2005 and ended in December 2010.
”FFEM” entrusted the International Office for Water with the final evaluation of the project.
Strengthening the training centers (CFOs)
As part of the reform of the water sector in the Congo Democratic Republic, IOWater won a tender issued by the World Bank concerning the definition of the CFOs training units.
The project purpose is to propose the most appropriate solutions to support the practical training of the operating staffs. Putting the trainees in real situations is at the core of the project, which is divided into two operational phases : an initial audit of the existing installations, a suitable design of units in collaboration with the Training Directorate and the Executive Unit of water projects. The first step showed that the facilities of the CFO in
In collaboration with technical teams and also with Congolese trainers, many units are being studied such as : an educational pilot unit for drinking water production, a network for training on the installation of pipes, a welding workshop, a set of meters, etc.
Dans la même rubrique
- European Commission wins the International Excellence (...)
- Project « UWWT SIIF » : a free tool for European (...)
- Reunion Island : Tereos Indian Ocean
- 13th International Conference "EUROPE-INBO 2015", 21-24 (...)
- New Call for Interest : Assistance for Preparing (...)
- The participation of IOWater at the 7th World Water (...)
- Sultanate of Oman : Training for PAEW