WORKING LANGUAGE ONLY SPANISH, WITHOUT SIMULTANEOUS TRANSLATIONThe objective of the meeting is to present and discuss lessons of our research aimed at the formulation of public policies and technical advisory assistance to the countries of the region (2012-2013), and to define priorities for work and cooperation in the future. The debates will be organized around following main topics:
- Millennium Development Goals (MDG) and post-2015 goals of sector development.
- Economic regulation under public model of service provision (state-owned and municipal service providers) (its specific and distinctive features in comparison with the regulation of private service providers).
- Policies and tendencies in tariff design and self-financing.
- Policies and tendencies in social protection in the sector (subsidies and pro-poor agenda).
- Implications of the recognition of the human right to water and sanitation.
- National cases (advances and challenges).
- New and emerging topics, such as, energy efficiency and the role of water sector regulatory agencies, economic regulation for the adaptation to climate change, relationship between economic regulation and watershed management, etc.
The following studies will be presented:
- "Políticas tarifarias para el logro de los Objetivos de Desarrollo del Milenio (ODM): situación actual y tendencias regionales recientes" (Tariff policies for the achievement of Millennium Development Goals (MDG): current situation and recent regional tendencies) (published in January 2013).
- "El Derecho Humano al Agua y Saneamiento frente a los Objetivos de Desarrollo del Milenio (ODM)" (Human Right to Water and Sanitation versus Millennium Development Goals (MDG)) (published in March 2013).
- "Best Practices in Regulating State-Owned and Municipal Water Utilities" (expected to be published in May 2013).
- "Servicios de agua potable y alcantarillado: regulación de prestadores de propiedad del estado y municipales" (Drinking water and sewerage services: regulation of state-owned and municipal service providers) (in work).
Programme of the meeting will become available in late May or first week of June.
If you are interested to participate in this meeting or have any suggestion or need additional information, please contact my colleague, Caridad Canales, firstname.lastname@example.org, and/or our secretary, Ana Cardenas, email@example.com.
WORKING LANGUAGE ONLY SPANISH, WITHOUT SIMULTANEOUS TRANSLATION